New Jerusalem was organized December 6, 1917 in the home of Mr. Elijah Tatum and his wife, Ludie Tatum. Along with other members, they decided to purchase a site and erect a building. This group headed by Bro. Will Winters and wife, Sis. Mary J. Winters, purchased a lot from Mr. Tatum and requested from the group to name the church, New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church.
The Church was led by Rev. W. H. Sanders, the first pastor and the church was built by Bro. Lacey Fullilove. The church has seen much growth and still stands on the original site, but the old wooden frame building was replaced by a beautiful brick structure under the leadership of Rev. A. J. Robinson when the building became too frail and in need of repair. Our present building was completed in April 1972 and was dedicated to God on May 7, 1972. Many other things were added to the sanctuary to beautify it both on the inside and outside.
This church has had many great pastors that contribute to the edification of God's people. They include Rev. Carl E. Jordan Sr., Bishop Charles E. Williams, Rev. William Simpson III, Rev. C. B. Jordan (interim), Rev. Dr. Sedric D. Veal, Rev. Mark S. Buckner and Rev. Orlando D. Franklin.
Today, our current pastor, Timothy L. Wright was elected on August 6, 2014 and continues to declare the Word of God and build a constructive change for a challenged community and building a church where Jesus is the main attraction.